Monday, September 22, 2014

Why I iPhone

Why am I glad that I got an iPhone last year at Thanksgiving? Well, it certainly wasn't so that my bill would increase. But I certainly have experienced many benefits, and so have my students.



1. I can receive all of my personal and work email up to the minute in this device.

2. In addition, the college and personal email are separated, so I can choose to view either one, or ignore either one.

3. Students now hear responses back from me far more quickly because they don't have to wait until I sit down at a computer to respond to them.

4. The iPhone has the ability to become a hot spot, so even when I am in an area where there is no phone signal, I can log in and check email, grade papers, and so on. Yes, it does run up the data plan, but seriously, I do it so seldom, that even on the long trip I took this summer, I never came close to using up the data available.

5. And then there is the all-too-popular Yavapai College app. Okay, so it isn't too popular, but I can still log in and see what the dining opportunities are in Prescott just in case I need to work on the main campus.

6. Navigation with the Maps or Google Maps apps has gotten me many places. All I have to do is type the address of the location I want to go, and these heavy-weight navigation programs get me there at least 90% of the time.

7. "Reminders" is another useful app for teachers. How many times do we think of something when walking back to the classroom only to forget about it on the way? With "Reminders," all we need to do is tap the app, hit the microphone button, and speak the reminder into the device. It will remain their until we delete it. Okay, so we still need to check the reminder.

8. I really appreciate the Calendar app. When I am in a meeting and need to check my schedule, I can see what is already scheduled to see when I am available. I can also add new appointments on the spot rather than waiting until I get back to the office.

9. "Spider," a solitaire game, also comes in handy when my brain is on overload, when I am stuck in the airport waiting for the plane to take me to a conference, or when I need a diversion. I do not suggest using Spider during class or office hours, of course, but I do think that a healthy mind is one that finds moments for relaxation.

10. And last, but certainly not least, is the Dropbox app. I seriously use "Dropbox" for all of my work files these days. I can access all of my files from work, home, and even iPhone whenever needed.

I hope you have found at least one reason to consider using a smart phone to enhance the options available. I know I have found even more ways to use the iPhone than listed in this blog, and I am sure you will find ones I haven't even discovered. Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment