Monday, October 12, 2015

Kindle for Reading Improvement?

My husband recently went to Phoenix to a computer training session, and he learned about the new Kindle Fire coming out at $49. He ordered me one, and when it came in the mail, I was surprised and not so sure I would use it. After all, I really do like paper versions of books, and I do have a Kindle app on my iPad, but I have found it really comfortable to hold, and the text breezes across the screen like silk.

Another discovery I made with this device is that it has a few tools that may help English language learners quite a bit. The first tool is Word Wise. Readers can Hide or Show the Word Wise mini-definitions for selected words in the book. Readers can also adjust from Fewer Hints to More Hints depending on their personal preference. I find that these tips aren't too helpful for me, but for someone learning English, I believe they would be very helpful. Imagine learning a language and having a small group of easier words in that language showing up immediately above the word you don't know yet, and that is basically what Word Wise offers.

Word Runner is the other tool I find intriguing as a Reading instructor. Notice how in this image on the left the text rolls through one word at a time. Readers can adjust the reading rate up or down. The words are also paced differently with complex words coming up more slowly, and easier words coming up at a faster rate. This pacing is an enhanced form of speed reading technology that is sure to catch on for more than English language learners. I have even enjoyed practicing speeding up my own reading rate. Imagine the possibilities this tool can have in K-12 schools all around the country!

And alas, it is still a Kindle. This tool has Internet, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, Do Not Disturb, Camera, Help, Auto Rotate, and Settings buttons. The Home page has Silk Browser, Amazon Freetime, Goodreads, Calendar, Photos, Contacts, Docs, Calculator, and many other apps already loaded and included in the low $49 price. Audiobooks, Newsstand, Kindle Books, and other apps can easily be used for all kinds of homework and classroom activities. Maybe Canvas will even decide to add some of these apps.

 For now I will practice learning the capabilities of the Kindle Fire 5th Generation. I am seriously considering asking the college to get a set of these for classroom use for the ENG085 class. Another idea is to have students order one as part of their textbook supplies for the semester. And if any of you have children or grandchildren who may benefit, for $49, it is not a bad investment in their education. Be blessed, and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment